Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Transportation

The views expressed in this blog are in no way intended to represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.


My experiences with transportation in the DR…so far…  I am by no means and expert, and from what I can tell the people in DR know what they’re doing most of the time when they’re driving,  on the other hand it is very different from the standard of driving the US.  Also I think sometimes they’re messing with us because they know where foreigners…  Things to know if you decide to visit… They cars are not going to stop for you, when they honk that means get out of the way now…  caminamos como perros…  Cobradors de Guagua (mini old bus) are always going to tell you that you’re going their way, even when you're not… 
First on Sunday we went to the City for a tour, which didn’t work out too well because it rained on us… and our tour guide was a low talker so you could only hear him if you were right next to him.  Anyhow on the way back some other volunteers and I got into a Carro Publico (Like a taxi, but with 7 people instead of one… same size thou… and no seatbelts) after negotiating the destination with the driver and his kid (10years old) got into the driver’s seat and proceeded to pull away from the curb… I’m guessing you’ve never seen people jump out of a car faster…
Then today we got on a guagua to go towards the city, and it was pretty empty which we thought was good, but might have actually been a sign… This guagua was probably 4 years past its due date, the transmission sounded horrible and I’m pretty sure the brakes were shot… Anyhow we hit a truck while entering the highway and the Cobrador proceed to get off and put part of the bumper back on and drive away… I think we almost hit like five other cars a well.
Reminder… These are just the bad experiences… there were other good ones too… Today I get a helmet and get to practice riding on a motoconcho… motorbike… because Thursday I’m going to visit another volunteer by myself and have to take a motoconcho…

1 comment:

  1. I hope no one was seriously hurt in these accidents! I'm glad you're okay and very happy you have a helmet!

    ReplyDelete